After the successfully installation of SQL Server 2016, I have realized that SQL Server Management Studio 2016 (SSMS) is missing. In this tip we will discuss how to download and install SQL Server Management Studio for SQL Server 2016.
How to Install SQL Server Management Studio in SQL Server 2016
Starting SQL Server 2016, Microsoft has separated the installation of SQL Server 2016 Management Studio (SSMS) from the standard SQL Server Installation Process. The new version of SSMS 2016 can be used to connect from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2016 including Azure SQL Database. Most importantly, the new version can be installed side by side with any older version of SSMS
One can install SSMS 2016 from SQL Server Installation Center of SQL Server 2016 by clicking “Install SQL Server Management Tools” under Installation screen as shown in the snippet below.
Trending SQL Server 2016 Articles and Tips
- Where can I find SQL Server Management Studio for SQL Server 2016?
- STRING_SPLIT Function and STRING_ESCAPE Function in SQL Server 2016
- MAXDOP for DBCC CHECKDB, DBCC CHECKTABLE and DBCC CHECKFILEGROUP T-SQL Enhancement in SQL Server 2016
- ALTER DATABASE SET AUTOGROW_ALL_FILES T-SQL Enhancement in SQL Server 2016
- Database Consistency Checker DBCC CHECK For Analysis Services Database in SQL Server 2016 for Tabular and Multidimensional Databases
- How to Download WideWorldImporters Sample Database and Restore in SQL Server 2016
- ALTER DATABASE SET AUTOGROW_SINGLE_FILE T-SQL Enhancement in SQL Server 2016
When you click Install SQL Server Management Tools in SQL Server Installation Centre it will take you to Download Center. You can also download SQL Server Management Studio for SQL Server 2016 directly from “Download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)“. The download file size for SSMS 2016 is 825 MB. Click the Install button to complete the installation of SQL Server 2016 Management Studio (SSMS 2016).
We recommend you to Download and Restore WideWorldImporters Sample Database to play around with the data and to learn more about New T-SQL Enhancements in SQL Server 2016.