Microsoft has introduced a new sample database WideWorldImporters specifically for SQL Server 2016. Let us take a look at how to download and restore SQL Server 2016 WideWorldImporters Sample Database.
Steps to Download and Restore WideWorldImporters Sample Database are mentioned in this article.
Different editions of SQL Server 2016
Different editions of SQL Server 2016 which are available are Enterprise, Standard, Web, Developer and Express Edition.
What is WideWorldImporters Sample Database in SQL Server 2016?
WideWorldImporters is a sample database exclusively built for SQL Server 2016 and Azure SQL Database. It can be used to understand core capabilities of SQL Server 2016 and Azure SQL Database, for transaction processing (OLTP), data warehousing and analytics (OLAP) workloads, as well as hybrid transaction and analytics processing (HTAP) workloads.
Links to Download WideWorldImporters Database and SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition for Free
There are two types of WideWorldImporters Database available for download.
Primary Set: This works on Evaluation, Developer and Enterprise Edition of SQL Server 2016 and it supports all features of the product.
SQL Server Evaluation/Developer/Enterprise Edition
- WideWorldImporters-Full.bak – full sample database for OLTP (Online Transaction Processing) and HTAP (hybrid transaction and analytical processing aka real-time operational analytics). For SQL Server 2016 (or higher) Evaluation/Developer/Enterprise Edition.
- WideWorldImportersDW-Full.bak – full sample database for OLAP (Online Analytical Processing). For SQL Server 2016 (or higher) Evaluation/Developer/Enterprise Edition.
Secondary Set: This which works on Standard Edition and it supports all features specific to SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition.
SQL Server Standard Edition
- WideWorldImporters-Standard.bak – standard edition OLTP sample database in backup format. For SQL Server 2016 (or higher) Standard Edition.
- WideWorldImportersDW-Standard.bak – standard edition OLAP sample database in backup format. For SQL Server 2016 (or higher) Standard Edition.
Azure SQL Database
- WideWorldImporters-Standard.bacpac – standard edition OLTP sample database in bacpac format. For Azure SQL Database.
- WideWorldImportersDW-Standard.bacpac – standard edition OLAP sample database in bacpac format. For Azure SQL Database.
SQL Server Integration Services
- Daily.ETL.ispac – SSIS package for ETL from the OLTP to the OLAP database. Works for both the Full and the Standard versions of the databases.
SQL Server Example
- sample-scripts.zip – sample scripts illustrating the use of various SQL Server features in the WideWorldImporters sample databases.
- workload-drivers.zip – sample workloads for the WideWorldImporters sample databases. These are Windows Form applications that will only run on Windows (in this release).
How to Restore WideWorldImporters Sample Database in SQL Server 2016
Use the below sample TSQL Script to restore full backup of WideWorldImporters database in SQL Server 2016. Make necessary changes to the script with respect to location of database files before executing the script.
RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = 'G:\SQLServer2016SampleDBs\WideWorldImporters-Full.BAK' RESTORE Database WideWorldImporters FROM DISK = 'G:\SQLServer2016SampleDBs\WideWorldImporters-Full.BAK' WITH MOVE 'WWI_Primary' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImporters.mdf', MOVE 'WWI_UserData' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImporters_UserData.ndf', MOVE 'WWI_Log' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImporters.ldf', MOVE 'WWI_InMemory_Data_1' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImporters_InMemory_Data_1', RECOVERY, STATS = 10
Trending SQL Server Articles and Tips
- How to Fix PowerShell Execution Policy Error in Windows Server
- Convert Seconds to Minutes, Hours and Days in SQL Server
- What are Virtual Log Files in SQL Server Transaction Log File?
- How to Use Dedicated Administrator Connection in SQL Server
- How to Identify CPU Bottlenecks in SQL Server Using Performance Counters
How to Restore WideWorldImportersDW Sample Database in SQL Server 2016
Use the below sample TSQL Script to restore full backup of WideWorldImportersDW database in SQL Server 2016. Make necessary changes to the script with respect to location of database files before executing the script.
RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = 'G:\SQLServer2016SampleDBs\WideWorldImportersDW-Full.BAK' RESTORE Database WideWorldImportersDW FROM DISK = 'G:\SQLServer2016SampleDBs\WideWorldImportersDW-Full.BAK' WITH MOVE 'WWI_Primary' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImportersDW.mdf', MOVE 'WWI_UserData' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImportersDW_UserData.ndf', MOVE 'WWI_Log' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImportersDW.ldf', MOVE 'WWIDW_InMemory_Data_1' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImportersDW_InMemory_Data_1', RECOVERY, STATS =10
We recommend you to download and install WideWorldImporters sample database to play around with the data and to learn more about New T-SQL Enhancements in SQL Server 2016.