How to Enable and Refresh IntelliSense in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
Related Topics: SQL Server Management Studio Tips>
Next Topic: Database Backup & Restore Tips
In SQL Server 2008, Microsoft had introduced IntelliSence feature in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). As a Developer or as a DBA you may face issues with IntelliSence feature not to be working or not displaying latest scheme changes when you are writing TSQL code within the Query Window of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). In this tip we will take a look at the steps you can follow to quickly enable and refresh IntelliSence in SSMS to resolve this issue of IntelliSense not displaying latest schema changes.
What is IntelliSence feature and how it can help?
IntelliSence feature reads internal metadata and list all of the available objects and its properties thereby helping Database Developers, DBAs effectively and quickly write TSQL scripts.
However, there are certain occasions when IntelliSence feature in SSMS doesn't work. During such scenarios one can follow the below mentioned steps to refresh IntelliSence feature of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). The fix mentioned in this article is applicable for SSMS 2008 and higher versions.
Note: The steps mentioned in this article are applicable across SQL Server 2008 Management Studio, SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio, SQL Server 2012 Management Studio, SQL Server 2014 Management Studio and SQL Server 2016 Management Studio CTP 3.3 Preview.
How to Enable IntelliSence Feature in SSMS
1. Open SSMS, click Tools -> Options -> Expand Text Editor -> Expand Transact-SQL and click on IntelliSense as shown in the snippet below. Under Transact-SQL IntelliSense Settings ensure "Enable IntelliSense" checkbox is enabled.
How to Verify Whether IntelliSence Feature is enabled in SSMS 2008 and Higher Versions
To verify whether IntelliSense feature is enabled in SSMS click on Query menu and see whether "IntelliSense Enabled" as highlighted in the snippet below.
Thank you for taking your time to read
this article. Let's be Connected....
Sign-up for Our Newsletter to Get Free SQL Server Tips and News to Build your Career
Like MyTechMantra on Facebook to get updates on What's Happening in SQL Server
How to Refresh IntelliSense feature to view Latest Schema Changes in SSMS
If you are unable to see the latest scheme changes using IntelliSence feature then you can refresh it using the following method. This method will help you Troubleshoot IntelliSense in SQL Server Management Studio.
Open New Query Window -> Go to Edit -> Expand IntelliSense -> Click Refresh Local Cache or press the shortcut key (CTRL + SHIFT + R) to refresh the local cache as shown in the snippet below.
- SQL Server Management Studio Resources: Configuration Tips, Articles and FAQs for DBAs & Devs
- Database Corruption: How to Repair Suspect Database in SQL Server
- DBA Tutorial: SQL Server Database Backup Tutorial for DBAs and Developers
- How to Enable BACKUP CHECKSUM Feature in SQL Serverfor all Database Using Trace Flag
- When Last Time DBCC CHECKDB ran successfully on all the database in an SQL Server Instance
- Why SQL Server Log backups fails and Full backup succeeds? Learn how to Fix "BACKUP detected corruption in the database log error in SQL Server"
Last Updated On: Nov 27, 2015
Please leave your Valuable Comment or Let us know how this article helped you: