You may end up getting “The remote procedure call failed. [0x800706be] WMI Error“ when you click SQL Server Services in SQL Server Configuration Manager as shown in the snippet below. This article explains the steps to troubleshoot “The remote procedure call failed. [0x800706be] WMI Error in SQL Server 2012”.
This generally happens when you have SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2008 R2 running along with SQL Server 2012 on the same machine or you have installed Visual Studio 2012 which installed SQL Server 2012 components.
- First Option, will be to Install SQL Server 2008 SP3 or later / Install SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 or later. Read the following article which explains How to Install a SQL Server Service Pack.
- Second Option, will be to recompile MOF file. The steps are mentioned below for your reference.
Recompiling MOF File to resolve “The remote procedure call failed. [0x800706be] WMI Error”
1. Open command prompt under administrative privileges i.e., using “Run as Administrator” and run as shown in the snippet below.
mofcomp.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
Now, you can go ahead and open SQL Server Services under SQL Server Configuration Manger to see all SQL Server Services.
- SQL Server: How to Find which user deleted the database in SQL Server
- Permissions Required to Take Database Backup in SQL Server
- SQL Server Configuration Manager
- How to Automate Backup of Analysis Services Database Using SQL Server Agent Job
- SQL Server SELECT Statement T-SQL Tutorial with Examples
- How to Drop Database in SQL Server by Closing Existing Connections
- What are Virtual Log Files in SQL Server Transaction Log File?