You may end up getting “The remote procedure call failed. [0x800706be] WMI Error“ when you click SQL Server Services in SQL Server Configuration Manager as shown in the snippet below. This article explains the steps to troubleshoot “The remote procedure call failed. [0x800706be] WMI Error in SQL Server 2012”.
This generally happens when you have SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2008 R2 running along with SQL Server 2012 on the same machine or you have installed Visual Studio 2012 which installed SQL Server 2012 components.
- First Option, will be to Install SQL Server 2008 SP3 or later / Install SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 or later. Read the following article which explains How to Install a SQL Server Service Pack.
- Second Option, will be to recompile MOF file. The steps are mentioned below for your reference.
Recompiling MOF File to resolve “The remote procedure call failed. [0x800706be] WMI Error”
1. Open command prompt under administrative privileges i.e., using “Run as Administrator” and run as shown in the snippet below.
mofcomp.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
Now, you can go ahead and open SQL Server Services under SQL Server Configuration Manger to see all SQL Server Services.
- SQL Server Configuration Manager
- How to Change SQL Server Database Auto Growth Settings
- ALTER DATABASE SET AUTOGROW_SINGLE_FILE T-SQL Enhancement in SQL Server 2016
- MIRRORED Backup in SQL Server Step by Step Tutorial with Examples
- How to Identify CPU Bottlenecks in SQL Server Using Performance Counters
- How to Fix Cannot execute script. Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program (mscorlib) error in SQL Server
- How to Monitor Transaction Log File Usage in SQL Server