SQL Server DROP Database | SQL DROP Database Statement
This article outlines the steps to DROP Database in SQL Server when the users are connected to a SQL Server Database. You may need to closing existing connections in a database before restoring the database, before detaching database, get database in SINGLE_USER mode etc.
If you try dropping a database when users are connected to the SQL Server Database you will receive the below mentioned error message.
This article outlines the steps on How to DROP DATABASE SQL Server.
Drop Database SQL Server Error Message
Drop failed for Database 'MyTechMantra'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo) Cannot drop database "" because it is currently in use. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3702)
The reason why you will end up getting the above mentioned error is when SQL Server is Unable to Get Exclusive Access to SQL Server Database.
Different Ways to Get Exclusive Access to Drop Database in SQL Server
- Drop Database SQL Server Using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Drop Database SQL Server Using TSQL Query
Drop Database in SQL Server Using SQL Server Management Studio
Step 1: Connect to SQL Server Management Studio; expand Database Node → Right click the Databases which you want to Drop → Select Delete from the drop down menu to open up Delete Object dialog box as shown in the snippet below.
Step 2: Select the Check box “Close existing connections” to Drop Existing Connections before Dropping the SQL Server Database and click OK to Drop Database in SQL Server. By selecting “Delete backup and restore history information for databases” option you will be able to remove the database backup and restore history which is stored in MSDB system database.
Drop Database SQL Server Using TSQL Query | SQL Server DROP Database Command
Execute the below TSQL code to Drop Database in SQL Server Using TSQL Query.
/* Delete Database Backup and Restore History from MSDB System Database */ EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_delete_database_backuphistory @database_name = N'MyTechMantra' GO /* Query to Get Exclusive Access of SQL Server Database before Dropping the Database */ USE [master] GO ALTER DATABASE [MyTechMantra] SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE GO /* Query to Drop Database in SQL Server */ DROP DATABASE [MyTechMantra] GO
In the article you have seen different ways by which you can DROP DATABASE SQL Server by getting exclusive access to SQL Server Database.
Trending SQL Server Articles and Tips
- FILEGROUP Backup in SQL Server Step by Step Tutorial with Examples
- TAIL-LOG Backup in SQL Server Step by Step Tutorial with Examples
- How to Enable XP_CMDSHELL & Disable XP_CMDSHELL using SP_CONFIGURE in SQL Server
- Why Model Database Default Settings Customization is Important for SQL Server?
- ALTER DATABASE SET AUTOGROW_ALL_FILES T-SQL Enhancement in SQL Server 2016
- Different States of SQL Server Database
- What are Virtual Log Files in SQL Server Transaction Log File?