Download and Restore SQL Server 2016 WideWorldImporters Sample Database
Related Topic: TSQL Enhancements in SQL Server 2016>
Next Topic: SQL Server Disaster Recovery Tip
How to Download WideWorldImporters Sample Database for SQL Server 2016
Microsoft has introduced a new sample database WideWorldImporters specifically for SQL Server 2016. Let us take a look at how to download and use SQL Server 2016 WideWorldImporters Sample Database.
"Microsoft has announced the release of the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) version of SQL Server 2016 on June 1, 2016. The good news is that you can download SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition for Free. For more information, see How to Download SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition for Free"
What are the different editions of SQL Server 2016?
Different editions of SQL Server 2016 which are available are Enterprise, Standard, Web, Developer and Express Edition.
What is WideWorldImporters Sample Database in SQL Server 2016?
WideWorldImporters is a sample database exclusively built for SQL Server 2016 and Azure SQL Database. It can be used to understand core capabilities of SQL Server 2016 and Azure SQL Database, for transaction processing (OLTP), data warehousing and analytics (OLAP) workloads, as well as hybrid transaction and analytics processing (HTAP) workloads.
There are two types of WideWorldImporters Database available for download:
Primary Set: This works on Evaluation, Developer and Enterprise Edition of SQL Server 2016 and it supports all features of the product.
SQL Server Evaluation/Developer/Enterprise Edition
- WideWorldImporters-Full.bak - full sample database for OLTP (Online Transaction Processing) and HTAP (hybrid transaction and analytical processing aka real-time operational analytics). For SQL Server 2016 (or higher) Evaluation/Developer/Enterprise Edition.
- WideWorldImportersDW-Full.bak - full sample database for OLAP (Online Analytical Processing). For SQL Server 2016 (or higher) Evaluation/Developer/Enterprise Edition.
Secondary Set: This which works on Standard Edition and it supports all features specific to SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition.
SQL Server Standard Edition
- WideWorldImporters-Standard.bak - standard edition OLTP sample database in backup format. For SQL Server 2016 (or higher) Standard Edition.
- WideWorldImportersDW-Standard.bak - standard edition OLAP sample database in backup format. For SQL Server 2016 (or higher) Standard Edition.
Azure SQL Database
- WideWorldImporters-Standard.bacpac - standard edition OLTP sample database in bacpac format. For Azure SQL Database.
- WideWorldImportersDW-Standard.bacpac - standard edition OLAP sample database in bacpac format. For Azure SQL Database.
SQL Server Integration Services
- Daily.ETL.ispac - SSIS package for ETL from the OLTP to the OLAP database. Works for both the Full and the Standard versions of the databases.
SQL Server Example
- sample-scripts.zip - sample scripts illustrating the use of various SQL Server features in the WideWorldImporters sample databases.
- workload-drivers.zip - sample workloads for the WideWorldImporters sample databases. These are Windows Form applications that will only run on Windows (in this release).
Don't be Anti-Social
How to Restore WideWorldImporters Sample Database in SQL Server 2016
Use the below sample TSQL Script to restore full backup of WideWorldImporters database in SQL Server 2016. Make necessary changes to the script with respect to location of database files before executing the script.
RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = 'G:\SQLServer2016SampleDBs\WideWorldImporters-Full.BAK' RESTORE Database WideWorldImporters FROM DISK = 'G:\SQLServer2016SampleDBs\WideWorldImporters-Full.BAK' WITH MOVE 'WWI_Primary' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImporters.mdf', MOVE 'WWI_UserData' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImporters_UserData.ndf', MOVE 'WWI_Log' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImporters.ldf', MOVE 'WWI_InMemory_Data_1' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImporters_InMemory_Data_1', RECOVERY, STATS = 10
• T-SQL Enhancements in SQL Server 2016 for Developers and DBAs
• How to Start SQL Server with Minimal Configuration
• How to Start SQL Server in Single User Mode
• What are Virtual Log Files in SQL Server Transaction Log File?
• Different Startup Options for SQL Server Database Engine Service
• How to Start SQL Server without TempDB Database
• Tutorial: Different SQL Server Database Backup Options and Commands with Examples
How to Restore WideWorldImportersDW Sample Database in SQL Server 2016
Use the below sample TSQL Script to restore full backup of WideWorldImportersDW database in SQL Server 2016. Make necessary changes to the script with respect to location of database files before executing the script.
RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = 'G:\SQLServer2016SampleDBs\WideWorldImportersDW-Full.BAK' RESTORE Database WideWorldImportersDW FROM DISK = 'G:\SQLServer2016SampleDBs\WideWorldImportersDW-Full.BAK' WITH MOVE 'WWI_Primary' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImportersDW.mdf', MOVE 'WWI_UserData' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImportersDW_UserData.ndf', MOVE 'WWI_Log' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImportersDW.ldf', MOVE 'WWIDW_InMemory_Data_1' TO 'G:\MSSQL\DATA\WideWorldImportersDW_InMemory_Data_1', RECOVERY, STATS =10
Click the Next Page button to continue reading about New T-SQL enhancements in SQL Server 2016
Last Updated On: June 08, 2016
- Download SQL Server 2016 Sample Database: WideWorldImporters Database
- Wide World Importers Documentation
- Wide World Importers sample database v1.0
- WideWorldImporters: The new SQL Server sample database
Please leave your Valuable Comment or Let us know how this article helped you: