Install SQL Server 2014 Step By Step Guide for DBAs
Page 1 / 5
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 RTM (Release to Manufacturing) was released on 7th April 2014. There are different versions of SQL Server 2014 available such as Enterprise Edition, Enterprise Core Edition, Business Intelligence Edition, Standard Edition, Web Edition, Express and Developer Edition. You can download Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Evaluation Edition from the following link and you can download SQL Server 2014 Express Edition from the following link.
Important Note:- In this article we will take a look at how to install SQL Server 2014 on a Windows Server 2012 R2. However, the steps mentioned in this article can be followed while installing SQL Server 2014 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or later.
This article has a total of 5 Pages including this page. Follow the links below to open all 5 Pages in a separate window so that you can easily follow the steps to Install SQL Server 2014. Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5"
Software Prerequisites for SQL Server 2014
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 requires .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 to be installed on the server. If you run Setup and you do not have .NET 3.5 SP1, SQL Server Setup will require you to download and install .NET 3.5 SP1 before you can continue with the SQL Server installation. Follow the link to download Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
- If you run Setup on a computer with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or Windows 8, you must enable .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 before you install SQL Server 2014.
- .NET 4.0 is a requirement for SQL Server 2014
- Check the following link to know more about Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2014.
Free SQL Server 2014 Downloads for DBAs and Developers
Download SQL Server 2014 Developer Edition for FREE
Download and Install SQL Server 2014 Developer Training Kit For FREE
- SQL Server 2014 does not install or enable Windows PowerShell 2.0; however Windows PowerShell 2.0 is an installation prerequisite for Database Engine components and SQL Server Management Studio. If Setup reports that Windows PowerShell 2.0 is not present, you can install or enable it by following the instructions on the Windows Management Framework page.
Let's learn How to Install SQL Server 2014 a complete step by step guide:-
Install SQL Server 2014 on Windows Server 2012 R2 SP1 Enterprise Edition
1. Database Administrator should log on to the server with administrative privileges and then right click Setup.EXE file and choose Run as administrator option from the drop down list.
2. Once Prerequisites are installed successfully the setup may ask you to restart the server. Once the server is up after the restart once again run the Setup.EXE file. Once the installation of all the prerequisites are completed successfully the SQL Server Installation Center will open up as shown in the snippet below. You need to navigate to the Options screen as shown in the snippet below to choose the appropriate Processor Type to specify the architecture of SQL Server 2014 to be installed.
3. In SQL Server Installation Center’s Installation Screen you need to choose New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation option as highlighted to install a standalone instance of SQL Server 2014.
4. It will open up Setup Support Rules window which will identify problems that might occur when you install SQL Server Setup support files. You must correct the failures if there are any before the setup can continue. If there are no issues identified then click OK to continue with the installation.
Highly Recommended:- Performance Tuning is very Important for any Organization Hence we would recommend you to Download and Install "Database Performance Analyser" which is available for FREE to get started with database monitor your SQL Server, Oracle or MySQL Databases..
5. In Product Key window of SQL Server 2014 Setup you can choose to Install SQL Server 2014 as an evaluation edition or else you can enter the Product Key to install the version specific to the Key. As like in SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014 also has a single installation for all editions of SQL Server 2014. Once you have entered the Product Key or choose the free edition (Evaluation) then click Next to continue with the installation.
Important Note: If you are installing the Evaluation Edition then you can upgrade to another edition using the Edition Upgrade Wizard. Once upgraded from an Evaluation Edition to Enterprise, Standard, Business or Web Edition then you cannot downgrade it to a lower edition. In such a scenario you need to Uninstall SQL Server 2014 and install a fresh copy of the desired edition.
Click on Next Page to continue reading rest of the article…
Last Updated On: Aug 10, 2015
Please leave your Valuable Comment or Let us know how this article helped you: