Install BizTalk Server 2006 R2 on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 – Part 1
April 20, 2009
In this article you will see the steps which you need to follow in order to install
BizTalk Server 2006 R2. Installing previous versions of BizTalk Server was never an
easy task. However, in BizTalk Server 2006 the installation process is
streamlined. As many of you will be using this product with Windows XP or
Windows Server 2003, in this article I will be covering the end to end installation
process for those two operating systems.
Known Installation Issues on Windows XP
BizTalk Server 2006 R2 requires Windows XP to be installed on an NTFS formatted
drive. If your Windows XP machine is using FAT 32 drive then, as a first step
you need to convert FAT 32 drive to NTFS by running convert d: / fs:ntfs
It is advised to take the backup of all your critical work prior to the conversion of drive from FAT 32 to NTFS.
Secondly, the name of the machine on which you are planning to install BizTalk Server 2006 R2 should not be more than 15 characters. If this condition is not meet, then go ahead and change the machine name and then reboot the machine to apply the changes.
As it is not possible to install SharePoint Services on a Windows XP machine,
the Microsoft Sharepoint Services Adaptor and Business Activity Services (BAS)
functionality of BizTalk Server 2006 R2 will be unavailable to you.
Prerequisites for BizTalk Server 2006 R2 Installation
You need to install the following below mentioned products as a prerequisite
prior to the installation of BizTalk Server 2006 R2.
• Windows XP (SP2) or Windows Server 2003 SP1
• Internet Information Server (IIS) 5.1 on Windows XP or IIS 6.0 on Windows Server 2003
• Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 (SQL Server 2000 SP4) or Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0
(SQL Server 2005 SP2)
• Microsoft Office Excel 2003 and Info Path 2003 with SP2
• Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 with Visual C# .Net
• Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (SP2) or Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (SP4)
• Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services and Notification Services with SP2 or
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services and Notification Services with SP4
• Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 (SP2) for Business Activity Monitor (BAS)
on Windows Server 2003 SP2 as BAS is supported only on Windows Server 2003 SP2
In Part 2, we'll take a look at how to install Internet
Information Service (IIS) on Windows XP.
Continue Free Learning...
Geeks who read this article also read…
- Installing BizTalk Server 2006 on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 - Part 1
- Installing Internet Information Service (IIS) on Windows XP - Part 2
- Installing Internet Information Service 6.0 on Windows Server 2003 - Part 3
- Installing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - Part 4
- Configuring Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - Part 5
- Installing BizTalk Server 2006 R2 - Part 6
- Configuring BizTalk Server 2006 R2 on Windows Server 2003 - Part 7
- Read More BizTalk Articles…
- Read More Sharepoint Articles…
- Read More SQL Server Articles…