Install SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2
May 01, 2010
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Release to Manufacturing (RTM) was released in the April 2010. There are different versions of SQL Server 2008 R2 available such as Datacenter Edition, Parallel Data Warehouse Edition, Enterprise Edition, Standard Edition, Web Edition, Workgroup Edition, Developer Edition, SQL Azure, Compact Edition and Express Edition. You can download the trial version of SQL Server 2008 R2 from the following link. In this article we will take a look at how to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Server. However, the steps mentioned in this article can be followed while installing SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008.
"This article has a total of 6 Pages including this page. Follow the links below to open all 6 Pages in a seperate window to learn how to Install SQL Server 2008 R2. Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5, Page 6"
Prerequisites for SQL Server 2008 R2
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 requires Windows Installer 4.5 and .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 to be installed on the server. You can download Windows Installer 4 from the following link and you can download Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 from the following link. Once you have installed the prerequisites you may be asked to restart the operating system.
Installing SQL Server 2008 R2
1. Database Administrator should log on to the server with administrative privileges and then right click Setup.EXE file and choose Run as administrator option from the drop down list as shown in the below snippet.
2. As a Prerequisite SQL Server 2008 R2 setup will require Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and the latest version of Windows Installer 4.5 to be installed. You can install the same by clicking the OK button.
3. In Windows Update Standalone Installer popup, click OK button to install Windows Installer 4.5. You can even install Windows Installer 4.5 by downloading it from the following link.
4. Once Windows Installer 4.5 is installed successfully the setup may ask you to restart the server. Once the server is up after the restart once again run the Setup.EXE file. This time setup will ask you to install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 incase if it is not installed on the server. Once the installation of .Net Framework has completed successfully the SQL Server Installation Center will open up as shown in the snippet below. You need to navigate to the Options screen as shown in the snippet below to choose the appropriate Processor Type to specify the architecture of SQL Server 2008 R2 to be installed.
5. In SQL Server Installation Center’s Installation Screen you need to choose New Installation or add features to an existing installation option as highlighted to install a standalone instance of SQL Server 2008 R2
Click on Next Page to continue reading rest of the article…
Continue Free Learning...