How to Backup an Analysis Services Database Using SQL Server Management Studio
March 10, 2010
In this article we will take a look at the steps which a database administrator needs to follow to backup an analysis services database. The steps mentioned below are applicable on SQL Server 2005 and higher versions. Read the following article titled "How to Backup Database in SQL Server" to know the steps you need to follow to backup an SQL Server Database.
Backup Analysis Services Database Using SQL Server Management Studio
1. Start SQL Server Management Studio and connect to an analysis services instance. Right click the analysis services database which you want to backup and choose the option Back Up…. from the popup menu as shown in the snippet below.
2. In the Backup Database dialog box, there are a number of settings which you have to choose to configure the analysis services database backup.
3. Click the Browse… button to provide the location where you need to save the analysis database backup file and click OK to save the backup location.
4. In the Backup Database dialog box there are options available to Allow file overwrite, Apply compression and to Encrypt backup files. If you choose to encrypt the backup file then you need to choose Encrypt backup file option and specify a password. Finally click OK in the Backup Database dialog box to start the analysis services backup. Important thing you need to note is it will backup metadata for ROLAP partitions, metadata and aggressions for HOLAP partitions, metadata, source data and aggressions for MOLAP partitions. This is because backup is not applied on the source data contained in the relational database.
In this article you have seen how easily you can take a backup of analysis services database using SQL Server Management Studio.
Continue Free Learning...
Geeks who read this article also read…
- Automate Backup of Analysis Services Database Using SQL Server Agent Job
- How to Restore an Analysis Services Database Using SQL Server Management Studio
- Database Backup Compression Feature In SQL Server 2008
- Configuring Database Instant File Initialization Feature of SQL Server
- Microsoft SQL Server Build Versions
- How to Cut Costs with the Help of Technology?
- Uninstalling SQL Server 2008
- Read More SQL Server Articles…